Happy New Year’s Eve!
Did 2011 really happen? Is it me, or did this year seriously FLY by? I swear I say that every year, but this year went by ridiculously fast.
2011 was quite an eventful year in the world, but also in my life. 2011 was the first year I was a “real adult.” Since I graduated last December, I have accomplished quite a few things that I am very proud of, and I couldn’t be more excited for 2012.
I’ve never been a huge fan of New Year’s resolutions, mostly due to the reason that my resolutions always lasts three or four days – maybe a week if I’m lucky! I always say, “I’m going to go the gym more often” or “I’m going eat better,” but slowly I get back into routine and all too quickly forget about those resolutions. Doesn’t everybody?!
But I couldn’t go without making a few long-term goals that I want to accomplish sometime in the next year:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Eat more whole grains
- Take yoga more seriously – I have a hard time focusing and I usually end up cussing to myself throughout the whole class because I’m not flexible and all of the people next to me bend like Gumby.
- Ride my bike more often – We have amazing paths throughout our neighborhood and I want to take advantage of them.
- Run the Susan G. Komen 5K – I used to intern for SGK and haven’t actually participated in the race – just volunteered – so I really want to run it this year!
- Go to one new state – My best friend Katie is getting married in September and the wedding is in Boston, Mass!
- Explore Lake Saylorville – We have beautiful lakes in Iowa (surprisingly!) and I’d really like to take our bikes to the lake and ride along the water.
- Do something we normally wouldn’t do -I’m not saying I’m going sky diving, but I think it would be fun to take a random road trip or go on a last-minute camping trip sometime next year.
- Buy my own domain and self-host – Blogging is something I have really enjoyed doing these past few months and it’s definitely something I can see myself continuing. I’m surprised at how many people actually read it (besides my parents), so thank you!
- Write more consistently – I don’t write every day or multiple times a day like some of my favorite bloggers, but I want to get more consistent with writing. Sometimes I write during lunch, sometimes at night during dinner and sometimes on the weekend – I want to figure out a schedule that works best and stick with it.
- “Meet” other bloggers – I can’t believe how huge the blogging world is and there are so many bloggers I would love to meet.
- Participate regularly in the blog world – There is more to blogging than just writing your own stuff. I love reading other blogs (see the side of the webpage for some of my favorites) and I want to discover even more amazing blogs in 2012!
- Save more money – Ummm isn’t this everybody’s goal? I’ve done really well budgeting (thanks to Mint!) and I want to continue that habit.
- Use more coupons – I’m no Extreme Couponer, but I do get the Sunday paper and I’d like to use coupons regularly in my shopping trips.
- Cut out junk – Target used to be my biggest enemy. I would walk out of that store with a bag full of things I really didn’t need. Since I started living on my own, I’ve become more conscious as to what I need vs. what I want and I’d like to continue cutting out junk and only buy things I really need.
- Save for a new car – Have you seen my car? It gets the job done, but it’s small and has more than 113,000 miles on it. I’m just waiting for it to fail miserably one day (knock on wood!) so I’d really like to put some money aside for a new “big girl” car.
- Be better about responding to emails – I check and respond to my work email all the time, but my gmail account (and Facebook messaging) is sad. I even get my emails to my iPhone! I really need to get better about responding to people.
- Floss often – How often are you supposed to floss? I don’t even know, but I know I don’t do it often.
- Stop biting my nails – Worst habit ever. It’s bad.
- Try new foods – Repeating recipes? Guilty. as. charged.
And with that, I’ll say:
Have a fun and SAFE New Year’s Eve tonight! I know of wayyyy too many people who drink and drive and I would really hope that all my friends THINK before they get behind the wheel tonight. I also know wayyyy too many people who have been injured or killed by a drunk driver. Don’t be stupid – get a cab or a DD. I’ll step off my soapbox now. 🙂
Off to get ready for dinner!