Oops! Worst blog mistake ever – I forgot the year “anniversary” of blogging! I began blogging on May 30, 2011, but I was traveling to Chicago for work this May 30 and completely forgot. It may not seem like a huge deal, but to any blogger who makes a time commitment each week, day or sometimes multiple times per day (ya crazy peeps ;)) to blogging…the anniversary is sort of a big deal!
I’ll be completely honest right now. When I began blogging, I thought I was one of the first chicks to blog about her life. Naive, I know. I read blogs in college, but I read big blogs – Mashable.com, HuffingtonPost.com, PRDaily.com, etc. I had no clue that there was a great community of blogging powerhouses that blogged about food, fitness and their life. Now I’m obsessed.
The reason I started blogging was to simply document our move to Des Moines and keep track of mine and Kevin’s life after college. At first, it was a great way for my family to read what we were up to every once in awhile. And I’m not going to lie – sometimes I am a little embarrassed to be documenting my life online. Sometimes I think that people think I’m crazy or make fun of me behind my back (or blog?) for writing it, but then I remember how much I enjoy it and if people don’t like it – that’s fine – they don’t have to read. 🙂
Another reason why I love blogging is because I’m a huge scrapbooker. I have scrapbooks for every year of high school and I am just getting into creating my college scrapbook now, so having a blog is a great way for me to document what is going on in our lives!
And because scrapbooking and blogging is a great way to look at the past, I’ll go through some highlights from my blog – year one.
- My first post – The Beginning
- My first post from Des Moines – You’re Not From Around Here Are You? (side note for this post…as I look back and read it, I love how nonchalant I seem. Oh you know, no big deal moving my life 5 hours away from my family. NOT. I was freaking out on the inside and bawled the whole drive to Des Moines. At almost every exit, I thought about turning around (okay this is a major confession here), but luckily my dear friend Katie moved to Scottsdale, AZ from Omaha, NE with her boyfriend on the exact same day as me so we made each other feel better. Whew, I feel better getting that off my chest. I’m such a good liar.)
- Moving into our apartment – Home Sweet Home
- My first “recipe” post – Chicaaaaaago (Bah. A recipe? “I combined some recipes and threw a bunch of stuff in there. Next time I make it, I’ll try to remember.” omgsobad.)
- My second recipe post – Just call me Chef (Okay, I got much better on the second try)
- Most embarrassing post – Life of a Blonde
- My first “I don’t want to be an adult” post – Back to College! Oh, Wait…
- Celebrating our four year dating anniversary – Egg and Cheese Melty Deliciousness
- Post with the biggest news – Kevin and I are Adopting a Puppy
- Hardest post to write – Huffington Post – College Debt Article
- One of my favorite days recapped – Cardinals are World Series Champs and Meet Gracie
- Favorite reminiscent post – A Year Ago Today
- First blogging-community related post – The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap
- Most optimistic post – Did That Really Happen?
- Recipe I’m most proud of – Shrimp Fried Rice
- Scariest post to write – Food Allergies are Forreal
- My 23rd birthday – 23
- Favorite Gracie post – Training Grace
- Self-hosting and own domain post – New Blog, New Job, New Recipe
- Favorite helpful post – Grocery Shopping: Our Way
- First blog survey – Only a Year Late
- First giveaway – Easter Cake Pops
- First product giveaway – The Pasta House Salad + First Product Giveaway
Whew! Lots of exciting things happened on this little blog baby of mine and I am so excited to continue to write and grow with it as we continue our lives here in Des Moines.
A few things I am looking forward to in the future for LWAB:
-Purchasing a new camera and taking better pictures (I take all my pictures with my iPhone. I don’t have a camera.)
-Being more creative with recipes so that you will actually want to make what I make.
-Redesign. I did everything myself and I have absolutely zero talent when it comes to blog design. Do I have any students or recent grads who want to redesign my blog for cheap?! (I’m serious.)
Lastly, I just want to say thank you to everyone who reads. To me, blogging is relaxing and exciting all at the same time. I know it’s probably not the best or most well-written or has the prettiest pictures, but I do appreciate you all for stopping by each day to read. 🙂