I have a new recipe! Finally! Hallelujah!
I cannot take credit, though. My mom and brother, Brendan, made this delicious-sounding treat over the weekend and text me pics and updates as they went so I just had to share.
As many of you may know, my little bro suffers from an incredibly bad peanut allergy. As in, can’t go to baseball games, has to carry an Epi-Pen, has to ask chefs what’s in sauces when eating out and has to make Southwest Airlines clean the whole damn plane before he boards. It’s bad. He’s not just allergic to peanuts, but other nuts like pecans (which I know all too well) too.
Enter The Sneaky Chef’s “No-Nut Butter.” Completely nut free, but tastes like peanut butter. You didn’t say! Brendan is obsessed with the stuff and when him and my mom found a couple of jars of it on sale, they stocked up to make this Peanut-Free “Peanut Butter” Granola. They graciously allowed me to share here!
Peanut Free “Peanut Butter” Granola
Allergies: peanut free
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup “No-Nut Butter”
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped raw almonds (side note: Bren is NOT allergic to almonds)
- 1 cup of craisins
- 1 cup of raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease pan with cooking spray.
- Mix maple syrup and “No-Nut Butter” together, then stir in brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Slowly add in vegetable oil.
- Fold oats and almonds into mixture, until thoroughly coated
- Spread mixture onto pan making an even layer. Press down with a spatula to make sure the mixture is level and compact
- Bake until lightly browned, 20-40 minutes and stir in the craisins and raisins
Like any good baker, they set out their ingredients beforehand.
I wonder how many spoons of this stuff Bren enjoyed while making this. Hmmm…
Bren first tried this stuff not too long ago and it was like Christmas morning for him to FINALLY be able to taste something similar to peanut butter. Way to go No-Nut Butter, lady!
Weirdly enough, Brendan isn’t allergic to almonds. Or pistachios. He knows for a fact that he’s severely allergic to peanuts and pecans, but won’t experiment with any other nuts (like walnuts). Smart thinking. And he’ll only eat Blue Diamond Almonds because they are a peanut-free facility!
Whew that’s a lot of allergy talk but we all learned the hard way how incredibly serious food allergies are!
Anyways, here’s what the final product looks like!
I’m still waiting for my package of fresh Peanut-Free “Peanut Butter” Granola to be delivered to my front door. Mom? Brendan? Bueller? Perhaps, the mail lost it? (Get it, cuz my mom is a mail carrier? Ha ha ha)
Hope you enjoy, especially those of you with a peanut allergy!