Prayers Work


My goodness, we have been a roller coaster of emotions these last few days. Let’s back up…

Early last week, my grandpa was admitted into the hospital because he was having trouble swallowing. After a week of tests, they diagnosed him with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease). They think he’s had the disease for a few years, but that doesn’t make the news any easier.

For some reason (God), I got this sudden urge to go to St. Louis. I was feeling extremely homesick and I just wanted to see my grandpa and my family. But Kevin’s work schedule doesn’t allow us to just pick up and leave whenever we want on the weekends. Not only was it a weekend, it was Easter weekend, AND he was on midnight shifts. Triple whammy. I asked Kevin to just ask if anyone could cover his shift. If they could, great. But I wasn’t getting my hopes up. But thankfully (God, again), Kevin’s coworker could cover his shift so we packed and headed to St. Louis bright and early Saturday morning.

We surprised my grandparents at the hospital and they were so happy to see us! We spent most of the day at the hospital, and my grandpa seemed to be in great spirits. We celebrated Easter by going to church as a family, and then headed back to the hospital to visit some more before we left to come back to Louisville. We said our goodbyes, and headed home.

The plan was for them to put a permanent feeding tube in so he can get nutrition without the risk of choking or aspirating. The tube was supposed to go in yesterday, so I patiently waited to hear how that went. Yesterday afternoon, my mom called me and said that things weren’t looking good. My grandpa was in a coma, and they didn’t think he’d wake up. He never even had his feeding tube put in. His lungs were failing to get the carbon dioxide out of his body. They just weren’t strong enough. (ALS sucks, I’m learning.)

So I left work and came home to wait for “the call.” We prayed and begged for others to pray. And they worked because instead of getting “the call,” I got a call from my family saying he woke up on his own. And this morning, he was breathing on his own! AND even better, he was able to get his feeding tube in today.

My family always jokes that my grandpa has nine lives, like a cat. I can’t tell you the number of times he’s been given his last rites (I honestly think it’s like five times), or the number of times I came home from college because his health took a turn for the worse.

We’re definitely not out of the woods yet, especially now that we know he has ALS, but I’m so thankful the prayers worked and we still have grandpa here with us.

Thank you to everyone who sent prayers and good thoughts. They work. I know they do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 thoughts on “Prayers Work

  1. Just wanted to say that I’m glad you are able to see your grandpa. I had a very close family member suffer from it and i pray for your grandpa and family. God bless and good luck.

Comments are closed.