Kevin and I spent this past weekend in St. Louis – my hometown – to visit my family. He had a four-day weekend (lucky government worker, you) and I was feeling a bit homesick, so we hit the road after I got off work on Friday and headed south.
It was so fun to be with my family! Friday night we relaxed and played with my adorable dog, Nala. It was so good to see her again!
Saturday, we went to my old high school’s football game, then we went to a local brewery, the Ferguson Brewing Company and O.M.G. I had the best beer I’ve ever tasted. I got the peach wheat brew (it’s seasonal) and they stop serving it September 1 (switches to pumpkin-style) so I got lucky. It was DELICIOUS. Not kidding, best beer I’ve ever had.
Kevin got…well, I forgot what it was called, but it wasn’t nearly as good as mine. He enjoyed it! Mom got the nastiest beer (in my opinion) ever…the Imperial IPA and my dad got a good ole American Pilsner. Brendan got…water. Poor kid. 🙁 We enjoyed a nice wings appetizer (okay, we got two) because these wings were SO. GOOD. I didn’t want to leave, but we had dinner plans with my grandparents and my aunt at Casa Gallardo so we had to leave.
Casa Gallardo is my favorite restaurant in the world. There, I said it. No, it’s not the fanciest, or most authentic Mexican food and yes, they quite often mess up our order, but it is the best. My mom and dad met at Casa when they were in their early twenties. My dad was a manager and my mom was hired as a bar tender/waitress. It was love! We always joke and say I was born to love the place – I just can’t help it! Casa frequently puts out special dishes and this month, they featured their shrimp and chicken fajita with a cheese enchilada. Let me tell you: when I go to Casa, I have the hardest time deciding between fajitas and enchiladas. My favorite two things on ONE plate? Say what?! Deliciousness. See?
Of course, we all got margs. Let’s be honest…
And we ate our weight in Casa’s signature avocado ranch dressing…
Mom and Brendan…I just had to share because it’s so cute –
After dinner, we came home and Brendan decided to make us a little treat. Ummm…also the best thing I ever tasted. I had no clue what he was up to in the kitchen, or else I would have taken notes on his recipe, but all of a sudden he came to the living room with a big plate of BALLS OF GLORY. Fried orea, surrounded by cookie dough with powdered sugar and chocolate. YUM-O.
I was so sad to leave on Sunday, but we had to get back to our new ‘home.’ We had a six hour drive ahead of us (thank you, Kevin for driving!). I get bored in the car VERY easily, so I played a Friends trivia game by myself (ha ha loser) and then I began rattling off all these things that I want to do in my life. We ended up creating a big-ass bucket list!
Here we go (in no specific order and this is a combined list):
- Travel to Greece (specifically Santorini)
- Travel to Italy
- Travel to Australia and attend an Aussie-rules soccer game
- Ride out a Hurricane (guess who wants to do this)
- Fly an airplane
- Own a jetski and boat
- Live on a lake
- Learn to ski (this is Kevin’s…he’s never skiied before)
- Cruise to Alaska (I did this in 2009 and it was the best experience of my life)
- Visit my family in Germany (yes, I have family in Germany…long story and we’re not blood-related, but close enough). I also want to participate in Oktoberfest.
- Meet someone famous (ahem, Shia)
- Go to a World Cup or Olympic soccer match
- Attend the Olympic games
- Own a house with a big porch
- Drink Seattle’s Best Coffee and throw fish at the market (I also did this in 2009, but want to do it again)
- Road trip to the west
- Work in New York (even if that means just traveling there for work)
- Learn to drive a stick shift
- Go to Mackinac Island (I been once before, but Kevin’s never been)
- Go white-water rafting
- Attend a Winter Classic (NHL) game
- Go to the Super Bowl
- Go to a Stanley Cup game (okay, can you tell we like sports?)
- Touch the Stanley Cup
- Ride a motorcycle
- Go on a safari
- Go deep-sea fishing
- Learn to sail
- Snorkel in the Caribbean
- Kevin would like to take me to Hawaii (he’s been, I haven’t)
- Take my future children to Disney *often*
- Go to Vegas before children (we have a long time for this…don’t worry)
- Go to a rugby match in London
- Go to a movie premier
- Do storm damage clean-up
- Throw a kick-ass surprise party for someone I love
- Go to a restaurant owned by a Food Network chef (like Bobby Flay)
- See the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Run a 10K
- Learn 25 new history facts in Washington D.C.
- Visit the museums in Paris
- Be an extra in a movie